Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Debate!

I just finished watching the Democratic debate with the missus. It wasn't what I would necessarily consider exciting - there weren't really any fireworks or huge Punch-Out-style haymakers (awesome as that would be) - but it was riveting, particularly at the beginning. I know there are others out there that can express and relate what happened tonight and why it was important far better than I can, I'll share a few quick thoughts.

I think Barack Obama had a solid win tonight. He stayed calm and collected, he was civil and gracious, he was presidential. Hillary Clinton, on the other hand, was a little bit scary to me. Granted, she had some points, but she was outclassed in a couple of different ways. Her attempts at humor (specifically her reference to SNL) struck me as awkward and immature, rightly eliciting some boos from the audience. In a relatively friendly debate, she seemed to get a little too worked up - and seemed even more so when contrasted by Obama's steady demeanor. Watching her icy stare (which caused my testicles retreat into my torso) and waiting for her to physically pounce on Obama, I made an offhand remark to Meg about President Hillary with her finger on the button - not as scary as President "Bomb Bomb Iran" McCain, but scary all the same. And don't get me started on her laugh or seemingly canned emotional outreaches.

I felt Obama was more than equal to Clinton as far as details and specifics go. As far as nuts and bolts go, he can be almost boring (but in a good way). It's clear to me (as it has been for a while) that he's about more than just words and abstract concepts. And Clinton's calling out Obama for attack literature struck me as the pot calling the kettle black.

Barack Obama has been my favorite candidate since the start of this campaign for a number of reasons. He inspires, but he's pragmatic. He's optimistic, but reasonable. He does his homework, his record is pretty solid, he's got a track record of working with people of different political leanings, and from what I've seen he stays cool under pressure. And when he's on his game (which seems like most of the time), my jaded, cynical, blackened little heart sings.

I don't know what more I can say here that hasn't already been said (and been said better), so I'll just wrap it up here and try to get in a little bit of rocking out before I call it a night.

Cheers,
Regis

1 comment:

Benjamin said...

Hey Regis,

Nice blog. While reading this post I could almost hear your voice. [laughter] It's been too long.

How goes the four track resurrection? Your message put a smile on my face. Can you believe it's been so long?

Anyway, hullo to Meg and the rest of your family and hope you are well.

Ben