Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Because I REALLY Love You All So Much

So it turns out that I can only handle two of the three following things in one month:
  • Being in a play
  • Completing FAWM
  • Getting divorced
Sadly, something had to give and it wound up being FAWM. I guess I can say I completed writing one song (two if you count "Mexican Sunset" as an instrumental) out of a target fourteen, but I like a number of the instrumental chord-progression things I came up with and posted, and I have a number of semi-worthwhile lyrical starts for some of them too. As such, it wasn't a total loss.

Anyway, I re-dug up an old chestnut from my wild-and-crazy-er days in the dorms. One day, my buddy Dillon and I had nothing better to do so we decided to write a song about Jawas. It was progressing nicely when Ben started singing some weird counter melody about the sanctity of his personal space and the song just clicked. We laid it down on my trusty 4-track recorder shortly thereafter (again, in the dorms). I finally dug out the old tape and - by the magic of technology - have put it up here for all to enjoy.

Behold! JAWAS!

Here are the details I remember from the recording: I laid down the guitar part first on track 1, playing my dearly missed Maria (a midnight blue Fender Strat) through a Danelectro Nifty Fifty (which I still have, even if the Dirty-Sweet pot is stuck on full blast); the amp was micced with a cheap Nady dynamic mic that was probably hanging off my lofted bed because my mic stand was in my old room in Sheridan. Then the three of us did the vocals on track 2 - Dillon and I with our Fine Young Cannibals-style main part and Ben with his counter-melody/descant/whatever you want to call it piece of awesome - all together around the same mic. I remember doing a couple takes because we miscounted measures or weren't getting a good mix of our voices. I probably did the tambourine part next as it is on track 3, then the bass last on track 4. I had this wicked awesome no-name Beatle bass knockoff that I picked up at Q-Man in Sheridan (also long gone and sadly missed at present), which was played through a Danelctro Nifty Seventy bass amp and recorded like the guitar was.

Glad I'm wearing iron underwear today,
Regis

No comments: